To all the Gardening fans, how’re you keeping up with your manual hedge trimmers? Or, how stable are the blades of your electric trimmers? Did these questions alone give you an arm twist? And, some roughly trimmed bushes?
Every person, who is into gardening or has to maintain a garden, is well aware of the hardships that come along with keeping garden bushes, trimming being the worst of them. Those giant scissors have made me skip arms day a lot of times. And, after some time, I voluntarily took to manual hedge trimming on my arms day.
I felt a need to switch my regular manual hedge trimmers. Not being a fan of cords, the only alternative I was left with was the Gasoline ones, and these were all I needed! With no power cords and literally no scissoring, these give you the desired output by letting you control the way they move (and not shaking around).
Here’s a sneak-peak at some of the best gas hedge trimmers available in the market.
The Top 7 Gas Hedge Trimmers
1. Husqvarna 966532302 122HD45 Gas Hedge Trimmer
- Husqvarna 18 in. gas hedge trimmer cuts twigs and shrubs up to 4/5 in. thick
- Blade length- 18″, double-sided
- Penetration- 4″-5″
- Engine- 21.7cc, 2-cycle
- Weight- 10. 36 lb. , Lightweight
- Low noise engine
- With the LowVib system
- Average blade size makes handling easy.
- Minimal weight ensures less fatigue.
- The engines are thoughtfully designed to reduce noise pollution.
- Installed with LowVib system, which ensures you don’t get fatigued and vibrations even after you’re done with the trimming.
- Powerful 2-cycle engine for fast and flawless performance.
- Double-sided blades for faster and efficient performance.
- Smart start engines to minimize booting time.
- Heavier than electric trimmers
- Impulsive when turned on, might result in injury if not careful.
- The engine takes time to warm up and perform at maximum efficiency.
- The fuel line has some problems as per reviews from many customers.
If you’re a newbie, either in trimming or with gas hedge trimmers, you’re going to encounter a wide set of problems, the most prominent being the trimmer’s weight. But with this product from Husqvarna, I can assure you that this is going to be the last thing on your “To Worry About” list. Not only it is light, but also it has a powerful engine that can prove to be your best buddy when you’re up against the bushes. Though starting it up can give you an extended time in the beginning coz the engine takes time to warm up, but once it starts, there’s no looking back.
Overall, it is a really good trimmer when we go for its overall performance, and most of the time you’re gonna be lucky enough to not encounter any delay in the engine ignition.
2. Poulan Pro PR2322 22-Inch 23cc 2 Cycle Gas Powered Dual Sided Hedge Trimmer
- Powerful 23cc 2 cycle full crank engine for maximum cutting performance
- Engine- 23cc 2-cycle
- Rotating rear handle
- Double-sided blades
- Penetration- cut up to 22″ wide and limbs up to 1″ in diameter
- Blade Material- Stainless Steel
- Installed with Anti-Vibration System.
- Weight- 11.1 lbs
- Warranty- 2 years
- Deep penetration of the blades ensures accuracy while dealing with significantly thick bushes and hedges.
- The rotating wraparound handle ensures a comfortable grip while operating.
- The powerful full crank engine ensures maximum cutting performance
- The anti-vibration system reduces fatigue, maximizes cutting control, and increases comfort.
- Dual-sided blades increase the efficiency and reduce the time you spent trimming.
- The blades are made of stainless steel assuring you with quality and no damages while dealing with rough and tough hedges.
- This lightweight trimmer makes you in charge of the motion.
- The engine is incorporated with easy start technology reducing the time it takes to ignite.
- 2 years of warranty ensure the superior quality of the trimmer.
- The ignition cord might not be very durable
- There are many reviews on bad service and warranty coverage by the brand.
- The plastic hardware on the inside is not that tough.
The most impressive and eye-catchy thing for me about this trimmer from Poulan was its warranty that extends up to 2 years on Amazon and 3 years in the stores. I know what you’re thinking, what’s the use of a warranty if the product features and performance are crap, isn’t it? It is obviously not the first thing to look for in anything, but an essential one.
Coming to its performance, it has really long blades. Now, this can be both, a problem or an advantage, totally depending from person to person. Its engine performance is really good with the incorporation of features like vibration dampers and handles are can be turned around and gripped according to your convenience. The starting cord has many incidents of breakage though.
Although the warranty is exceptionally impressive, the brand has some reviews of bad service.
3. HUYOSEN Cordless Hedge Trimmer, 25CC 23-Inch 2-Stroke Gas Powered Hedge Trimmers
- Lightweigh and Powerful: 25cc, 23-Inch blade length with 2/3-Inch cutting ability through bushes and...
- Engine- 25cc
- Weight- 18.16 pounds
- Blade Length- 23-Inch
- Penetration- 2/3-Inch
- Blade Material- Stainless Steel
- Wraparound rotating handles
- Ergometric Grip
- Shock Absorbing Design
- Dual Switches for Safety
- Multi-position adjustable handle for operator control and easy to use.
- Steel blades are strong, sharper, and stays sharper than ordinary blades, longer service life. No need to worry about trimming blades that may become blunt after a few cuts.
- The shock-absorbing design will prevent most shock during the trimming and reduce fatigue of arms and shoulders.
- The ergonomic D-type auxiliary and handle minimize strain on the arms and backs, provide greater comfort for users.
- You need to open both switches on the handle at the same time to start the hedge trimmer, release one of the switches to turn it off. This ensures the safety and minimizes accidents.
- Long blades help trim off more bushes in less time.
- Powerful 25 cc engines are one of the strongest engines found in any other gas hedge trimmer.
- Blades are too long which might result in discomfort while operating.
- Weight is a bit more than other market competitors which might result in fatigue.
- The penetration of the blades is intermediate, which means you have to spend more time with thicker bushes.
This trimmer from Huyosen is on ‘My Best List’ because they’ve really tried to keep customer safety first with this product. It keeps us from having any sort of accident by incorporating 2 switches that require both hands to be on them to start the trimmer. Plus it has a rotating handle that is designed to give a comfortable grip and help you reach all the corners.
Coming to its performance, the engine is very powerful with an intermediate penetration which will work fine with regular household hedges. Also, they have tried to minimize the vibrations by modifying its design to absorb shocks.
Now, this might seem a bit heavy to some and it might be difficult to cut through some very difficult hedges not so common in a regular house garden. Despite this, somehow the powerful engine and the shock absorbers seem to compensate for the aforementioned factors.
4. SENIX HT4QL-L 26.5cc 4 Stroke Gasoline Hedge Trimmer
- 26.5 cc 4QL 4-cycle full crank engine for low vibration and no mixing of gas and oil
- Weight- 13 pounds
- Engine- 26.5cc 4QL 4-cycle
- Blade Type-Laser cut, dual-action
- Blade Length- 22″
- Penetration- 1.1″ Cutting capacity for trimming heavy foliage.
- Swiveling rear handle
- Blade cover included.
- 26.5cc 4QL 4-cycle full crank engine for low vibration and no mixing of gas & oil.
- High penetrating capacity with up to 1.1inches in heavy foliages.
- A blade cover is included with the product to ensure the safety of and from the blades.
- The rotating handle makes it very handy and convenient to trim on the turns and curves.
- The strong and rare laser-cut, dual-sided blades, make the chopping off extremely effortless.
- Beginners might not be comfortable with the long blades.
- The starting cords are not too strong and are prone to breaking after certain uses.
- The engine is quite heavy, inferring in the balance and performance of the trimmer.
When tough hedges are the ones you are targeting, this trimmer from Senix is something I think can prove to be helping. Its penetration is awesome. The engine is very strong. Though that makes it a bit heavy to handle and the trimmer can feel very bouncy and jumpy when working.
The quality of the starting cords doesn’t deserve a thumbs-up as they don’t have much popularity among the audience quality-wise. But, for someone who has tried their hands on a gas trimmer before, handling this won’t be a problem. In fact, I believe this is going to be the best fit for them.
5. Husqvarna 122HD60 21.7cc Gas 23.7-in Dual Action Hedge Trimmer 9665324-02
- The Smart Start engine and starter have been designed so the machine starts quickly with minimum...
- Weight- 16.2 pounds
- Engine- 21.7 cc
- Blade length- 23.7 inches
- Blade Type- Dual Sided
- Smart start engine
- Installed with carburetor air purge system
- Adjustable rear handle
- Installed with anti-vibration dampers
- The Smart Start engine and starter have been designed so the machine starts quickly with minimum effort
- Long and dual-sided blades to facilitate cutting more branches at a time
- Smart start engine to reduce the start-up time.
- A carburetor air purge system removes air from the carburetor and fuel system for easy starting
- Vibration Dampers reduce stress on hands, shoulders, and minimize fatigue in the user.
- When the machine is turned off, the stop switch automatically returns to the start position for easier starting
- The rear handle is adjustable to facilitate cutting the sides and top of hedges
- The carburetor might need readjustment due to the lean factory assembling.
- Runs well mostly at half choke.
- Blade guard might give a hard time getting off.
This trimmer from Husqvarna has all the features that any other trimmer has in this list. But it brings something new to the table that makes it an upgraded and more evolved version of trimmers. It has an air purge system that pumps the warm air out of the carburetor and helps in the better performance of the engine.
This is something no one else delivers to you. Engine performance might be affected on full choke as per customer reviews. It works well on half choke. Also, the blade guards can create a problem getting off for some.
6. Echo 20 in. 21.2 cc Gas 2-Stroke Cycle Hedge Trimmer
- The ECHO hedge trimmer HC-2020 is lightweight and offers professional-grade features for...
- Weight- 13.92 pounds
- Engine- 21.2 cc, 2-stroke cycles
- Blade Length- 20 inches
- Blade Type- Double-sided, double reciprocating razor edge
- Wraparound grip handles
- 5-year Warranty on hardware
- Lifetime Warranty on Ignition
- Offers professional-grade features for dependability.
- Excellent warranty period and coverage over ignition and hardware.
- Its lightweight makes it convenient to be used by people of all age groups.
- The blades offer superior cutting performance and twice as many cutting edges as the remaining bush trimmer competition.
- A zero-type grease fitting and tool-less air filter cover makes maintenance easy
- Powerful engine enhancing the machine performance
- The handles won’t rotate making it difficult to reach and trim the hidden corners.
Echo is one of the most trustworthy brands to opt for if you’re buying trimmers. This trimmer has a very efficient engine and blades that are equally powerful. The grip handles make things really convenient when you’re out there trimming for a very long time.
The only drawback that this hold is the handles are rigid and don’t rotate making it a bit difficult for the user to reach dead ends. But, the Cherry on Top is its really long warranty that extends up to 5 years. So, you don’t need to worry about any damage at all!
7. Craftsman CMXGHAMD25HT 25cc 22-in Hedge Trimmer-2
- POWERFUL AND LIGHTWEIGHT: 25cc, lightweight 2-cycle engine for ease of use. Multi-position...
- Weight- 18.36 pounds
- Engine- 25 cc, 4-cycle
- Blade Length- 22 inches
- Blade Type- Dual-sided
- Adjustable Handles
- Easy Start Engines
- The large span of movement- 135 degrees
- Warranty- 2 years
- The lightweight trimmer powered by 25cc, 2-cycle engine is good for heavy-duty trimming.
- Easy Start technology for simpler pull starts. Additionally, electric start capable that eliminates manual pull starts with an electric start drill bit (Drill Bit and Drill Sold Separately)
- 135 degrees of movement to hedge at all angles.
- A multi-position adjustable handle increases your control over the machine and makes it easy to use.
- This product is compatible with the TrimmerPlus multi yard tool system, to convert the Hedge trimmer into other lawn care products.
- The weight can seem a lot for some people.
- The blades can seem a little too long and be uncomfortable while operating.
- The starting can take a while.
If I’m going to be out there looking for the most powerful trimmer out in the market, then this is the one I’m going to opt for. Its engine is super strong and its blades are very sharp and penetrating. But, this much power might not be needed if you’re looking for trimmers to fulfill your household needs. This trimmer is very flexible as it allows you to explore almost all the angles and directions. Also, it might be a bit heavy if you’re not a professional.
This is also compatible with yard tool systems. The starting up can be quite a task for you sometimes but its performance will never disappoint you once it gets started.
What is a Gas Powered Hedge Trimmer?
A gas-powered hedge trimmer is a gardening tool used to trim off the bushes and shrubs. Powered by Gasoline, it has blades that go back and forth chopping off all the not-needed hedges.
Gas hedge trimmers are heavy-duty trimmers that can be used for both household and commercial purposes. They offer a lot of stability, more than any other electric trimmer. Plus, these eradicate the need for cords and constant recharging.
One refill lasts for several hours, so you don’t have to worry about filling it up between the trimming sessions.
These are the most powerful trimmers you can opt for in the market. Neither the manual ones, nor the electrical trimmers have the stability, efficiency, and performance comparable to these.
Things to Look for in a Good Gas Hedge Trimmer
The engine is the core of your trimmer. The first and the foremost thing to look for in any trimmer is its engine. For household purposes, engines with a size of 20 cc or a bit more are enough. But if you are opting for one for commercial heavy-duty purposes, then go for one that is nearly 25cc to 26cc.
2. Fuel Capacity
This factor totally depends on how long are you going to spend trimming outdoors. If you’re opting for a trimmer to takeup household trimming, then you can go for a medium-capacity fuel tank that can work for 3-4 hours on one refill. But you ought to do heavy-duty trimming and cutting, then you must opt for one with a larger capacity capable of running the tank for 4 to 5 hours in a go.
Now, this totally depends on how much a person can easily carry around for hours. But, it’s preferable to go for lighter alternatives, as the ones that might not be that heavy for you generally can seem like tonnes after 1 or 2 hours.
If you’re a beginner, then you must opt for single-sided blades. These are the safer alternatives keeping the cutting side away from you. But if you’ve tried your hands on one of these trimmers before, opt for the double-sided ones. These are more common and more efficient than single-sided blades.
5. Blade Length
Length is the key. The perfect length is very important for the smooth handling of the trimmers. Though long blades are more convenient to trim the hedges evenly, it’s difficult handling the trimmers with them.
The ideal length to opt for is about 18 inches, coz it’s easier to balance them when they’re small.
6. Tooth Extensions
Tooth extensions are being added nowadays to the trimmers for extending the distance between you and the blades. Look for the ones with tooth extensions to avoid injuries due to any kind of mishandling.
7. On and Off Locks
Want both safety and ease of use, look for on and off locks.
The On Lock lets you use the trimmer without using both your hands.
The Off Lock is for safety purposes. Its purpose is to avoid any mishappening in case, someone bumps into it accidentally.
8. Exhaust System
Manufacturers are installing new exhaust systems in the trimmers. These exhausts are meant to direct the fumes away from both you and the bushes, keeping them to burn from the heat. I suggest you opt for the ones with these exhausts unless you’re a fan of flames.
9. Wraparound Handles
Wraparound handles make the gripping more comfortable. Some of them even come with ergometric grip giving you a stable hand with them. Do check out the grip before vowing to just any one of the trimmers.
10. Dual Switches
Trimmers are generally installed with two switches that require both hands engaged to make them work. That is, the trimmer won’t start working until you lay both your hands on it. This is to ensure that no accidents take place.
Do look out for the feature when thinking to buy one. Coz, safety first people!
11. Vibration and Noise Dampening
Constantly vibrating machines are known to give users fatigue. Thus, manufacturers are working towards installing the trimmers with a vibration-damping system. This new technology being installed in the new models lets you use the trimmers with ease and making the process less tiring.
Also, some of the brands have models with quieter engines. These are the ones to go for if you’re against noise pollution.
12. Shoulder Straps
It can be really tiring to hold the heavy thing in your hands for so long. This is where shoulder straps come into play. Minimize the burden in your hands by sharing them with your shoulders, avoiding taking pain killers after the hedge-trimming.
Now, this is the most important part when buying anything electric. This is probably the part that tells you about how trustworthy the product is. The longer the warranty, the better the product as it depicts the confidence the manufacturer has in its quality.
5 Benefits Of Using A Gas Trimmer
1. Powerful – Powered by Gasoline and oil, the gas hedge trimmers provide us with more power than their electric or cordless counterparts with significantly high voltage ratings. And, needless to say, way more powerful than the manual trimmers. The natural energy resources energize the trimmers strong enough to cut through the toughest hedges with ease.
2. Cordless And Battery-less – No one likes to be tangled in cords, not even the cords themselves. These gas trimmers have cut through the tangles to make both you and themselves free from all the strings. Also, there’s no need to recharge them as they don’t run on batteries either. Just a simple tank fill taking a minute or two, and you’re all set for the day.
3. Fast and Easy To Use – These trimmers significantly increase the time for which you can upgrade your garden due to their nature of less fuel consumption. One refill goes on for hours, so you need not worry about filling the tank every few hours. Also, the engines are super easy to start and they ignite in seconds, no time wastage at all!
4. Stable And Efficient – These gasoline-powered trimmers are heavier than the electric varients, which is why they refuse to get all jumpy whenever turned on, unlike the latter ones. The Gas trimmers are utterly stable and easy to direct towards the desired part, which might be a problem when dealing with a rather bouncy mechanism. Plus, they have an upper hand due to the efficient and fault-proof finish they give to your garden.
5. Suitable for Heavy-duty Trimming – Comprising strength, stability, and efficiency more than any other hedge trimming alternative available to mankind, these gas-powered trimmers are the best fits for not only for household trimming but also for heavy-duty commercial trimming jobs. The blades never disappoint you, be it tender bushes or rigid hedges.
Is a Gas-Powered Hedge Trimmer Better Than an Electric Hedge Trimmer?
Now, the answer to this totally depends on what you are looking for in a trimmer. But, here’s an insight on what might be best for you according to your needs.
If you’re a beginner, then it might be difficult to deal with anything that is heavy as you’re not accustomed to having these loads for hours in your hands. If this is the scenario, then you must opt for an electric hedge trimmer. Now, there’s an obvious question that arises- what about its efficiency? So, no doubt, gas hedge trimmers are way more stable and efficient than their electric counterparts, but, to begin with, go for the electric trimmers with fairly high voltage ratings delivering about the same power as an average gas hedge trimmer. Though you might still have some problems directing the blade in the right direction due to its jumpy reflexes, these will help you get a more stable hand so that you can move on to the gas ones which are, obviously, more powerful and efficient than the electric ones.
So to summarize, the gas ones are obviously more efficient and powerful than the electric ones. But the electric ones are easier to handle and direct due to their lightweight and comfortable grips. Thus, it totally depends on what your current needs are and what will suit your current situation.
How Much Does a Gas-Powered Hedge Trimmer Cost?
Gas Hedge Trimmers typically vary between $150 to $600. The low price variants are basically less powerful and have fewer features than the ones which come above them at the price hierarchy. The low priced variants are good for household purposes and the best options to try your hands out on gas hedge trimmers, to begin with.
The intermediate models varying between $250 to $450 are more technologically advanced and loaded with a lot of features that strive to give comfort and perfection to the user. These variants are specially designed to enhance ease of use by incorporating features like shock absorbers, anti-vibration dampers, rotating wrap around handles, and if you’re lucky enough, then you get an ergometric lift as well. The engines generally vary between 20 cc – 25 cc and are designed to reduce noise while operating. These are suitable for heavy household and light commercial trimmings.
The most expensive variants ranging from $450 to $600 are the ones chosen by professionals to carry out heavy-duty commercial cutting and trimming sessions. They have engines more powerful than any other trimmers and are fully endowed with user-friendly features. Due to more powerful engines designed for commercial use, these are typically heavier than all the other trimmers.
How To Use a Gas Hedge Trimmer?
Here’s a step by step guide on how to use your gas hedge trimmers.
- Spread a tarpaulin sheet below the bushes- This step is essential to collect all the trimmings at one go. You don’t have to worry about brooming and collecting all the trimmed bushes and branches after the tiresome trimming routine.
- Refill the fuel tank- Before starting with the actual job, you must take care of the equipment that you’ll use to complete the job. Fill up the tank so that you don’t have to worry about stopping midway to refill it.
- Grease the blades- The trimmer blades work like scissors, going back and forth against each other to cut the bushes. Thus, reduce friction and keep them from heating up by greasing them every time before use.
- Inspect your garden- Before starting with the trimming, analyze the parts that actually need them. Go out and take a walk in your garden intended to look out for things that need work to be done on them. This makes it easier for you to continue with the work.
2. Let’s get to work
- Start from the bottom- Whenever trimming your bushes, make sure to start from the bottom and make your way towards the top. This gives you a more clear idea of the shape that will come out after the job is done.
- Make the top lean inwards- After done with the sides, the easier part, you end up with the second and more tricky task of trimming the top. Trim the hedge tops in such a way so that they have a curve that leans inwards, that is, when seen from the top, it has a convex surface. This puts all your surface leaves on display.
- Keep the bottom broad- Always keep the base of the bushes wider than the top so that the weight is evenly distributed and well balanced with any unwanted leaning and breaking.
- Between the bushes- When going inside the bushes, make sure to be very careful as this can hurt you. Cut off the bead branches promoting new growth and check the hedges for shape between the trimmings.
3. Using Tips
- Give your trimmers periodic breaks.
- For new growth, just go straight on the hedges.
- For hard bushes, go back and forth, in a sawing action.
- Clear off the tarpaulin when it’s full to avoid clutter.
How To Maintain a Gas Powered Hedge Trimmer?
1. Lubricate the blades regularly. This ensures that the blades don’t wear out due to constant heating and friction.
2. Clean the air filters regularly to ensure the smooth functioning of the engine. Engines need cool air to work, and constant use heats them up regularly affecting their performance. Air filters need to be cleaned of dust and debris to ensure air circulation in the engines.
3. Sharpen the blades regularly. Hard and tough hedges wear out the blades, thus they need to be sharpened after a few trimming cycles to ensure better performance.
4. Store it in a waterproof case to ensure no damage by moisture.
What Safety Equipment Do I Need For a Gas-Powered Hedge Trimmer?
When dealing with blades, be a beginner or a professional, one must always be careful.
First, look for safety features incorporated in the machine itself.
- Trimmers nowadays have tooth extensions. These keep blades away from the user to ensure you don’t stick out your hands into the blades while trimming.
- Trimmers have dual switches. This means that both of your hands need to be on the trimmer to turn it on. This feature ensures that no accidents take place when the user is distracted by something.
- Off switches are actively being installed in trimmers these days. This switch ensures that no mishappenings take place if someone accidentally gets in contact with the trimmer and turns it on. This switch basically is for the people who have kids. You can think of it as a child lock.
Personal safety measures are very important too. Wearing gloves, protection glasses, and earplugs for louder models are some of these to name.
Whenever dealing with blades, safety must be taken care of along with the other machine features. Both yours and the inbuilt safety measures are important to carry forward an accident-free garden trimming.
How Loud Are Gas-Powered Hedge Trimmers?
Gas hedge trimmers are no doubt louder than any other electric or cordless variant of trimmers in the market. Even after installing a noise-proof engine and supporting technological features, they still tend to make some noise. So, for people who can’t tolerate noise at all, this might not be the best alternative to opt for. But, its durability, stability, and performance are worth neglecting the noise.
So, out of the best alternatives in the market, if someone asks to select one or two, then they should be Craftsman and Husqvarna 122.
With a lot of exciting features, Craftsman stands out as a tough competitor for all the other participants. Its 25cc engine makes it one of the most powerful performers in the field. Plus, its super-strong blades add to its efficiency. And to embellish further, it has multi-position adjustable handles and a movement allowance of 135 degrees to reach out in every difficult corner.
Coming to Husqvarna122, it is no less in terms of performance. The 21.7cc engine is an excellent performer for household purposes and the carburetor air purge system has made it one of my favorites. With adjustable rotating handles and double-sided strong blades, this somehow seems to overpower Craftsman when household trimming is our main motive. It is lighter and more comfortable than Craftsman. Plus it performs no less than its competitor.
So, if we are asked to point fingers at the best one for the household needs, then we’ll stretch our hands towards Husqvarna 122.